“At Alderbury and West Grimstead School, all children will become resilient, fluent mathematicians with an ability to tackle problem solving.”
Our key principles:
- All children can learn to do maths.
- Fluency, Reasoning and problem solving are embedded within each of our units across all year groups.
- Children are supported in their understanding through the use of concrete, pictorial and abstract materials.
Typically this means:
- Children are taught within mixed ability classes by their class teacher.
- Children are expected to answer questions in full sentences, they will be supported in using the correct mathematical vocabulary wherever possible.
- Lessons begin in KS2 with daily Multiplication Tables (to include associated division facts), followed by ‘fluency starters’ that encourage children to develop their mental strategies.
- Reception class use the excellent Numberblocks resources, as well as Power Maths materials